it takes a long long long time to time-out a login attempt

Sameer ssheikh2000 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 13 04:22:00 PST 2004

I'm trying to ssh into my FreeBSD (5.2.1-release sparc version) box from my
desktop, however, it'll take a few seconds for the "login as" prompt to
appear.  I enter my the user name and hit enter. the login attempt then sits
there for about 90 seconds w/o asking for the password, then the connection
times out.

Any ideas what's causing this?  Do I need to put the workstation's
information into the hosts file or something?

The funny thing is that when I ssh from another server that's on the same
VLAN as the FreeBSD box (I should mention that the workstation is on a
different VLAN) the login process happens immediately.

Any ideas what gives?