No Documentation for es137x driver

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Sat Mar 13 00:29:00 PST 2004

I have recent tried installing a Creative Ensoniq ES1371 AudioPCI sound
card in FreeBSD, but I ran into trouble trying to find the right driver.
I first tried loading the sbc driver and it loaded without any errors,
but no kernel messages were generated and no /dev/dsp was created.  I
assumed it was the right driver since, according to apropos, it was the
only driver with creative in the man page and it did support certain
versions of ensoniq sound cards.  Also, the box claims it's sound
blaster compatible, but nothing happened.

Looking at the man page for pcm, it claims that it supports a pci es1371
and that driver was automatically loaded as a dependency of sbc, but it
still didn't detect the card.  Eventually I looked through the kernel
source and found a pci driver called es137x.  I used kldload to load
snd_es137x and now dmesg claims it has sound detected and sound works fine.
My question is why this is not documented anywhere, no man page for the
driver and the hardware compatibility guide for 4.9 and 5.2.1 both claim
it's supported, but don't mention that driver.  I'm using FreeBSD 5.2.1
--
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C