F-Prot for BSD WorkStation

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Mar 12 08:19:14 PST 2004

Chris wrote:
> So far the nightly dat update works well - my real question is simply this -
> Has anyone used this port? Is it really something that needs to be added since
> the majority of virii are Windows based.

I use ClamAV instead, but same difference.  The overwhelming majority of virus
are Windows-based, agreed, which means that virus scanning is really useful if
you are using your machine as a mail server or as a fileserver to Windows clients.

You might find that doing the full system scan takes up a lot of resources for
some time (possibly hours), but that probably only matters if you happen to
want to use the machine for something else then.

--
-Chuck