Building new kernel help

whizkid at ValueDJ.com whizkid at ValueDJ.com
Fri Mar 12 08:06:09 PST 2004

[Snip]
> The thing that's throwing me is in 5.1-release, it
> brings up a character menu of choices when booting
> (complete with ascii art of the mascot).  What option
> do I choose so I can do:
> boot kernel.old ?
>
> thanks,
> Darrl

Darrl, the prompt is just before the Ascii art.  If you look REALLY
carefully you will see that right after the memory count on your machine
is completed, the screen is cleared and you should see something like

F1 FreeBSD

Boot:

it will sit at this screen for like 3 seconds.  Just press enter and type
in the "boot /boot/kernel.old" (without the quotes).  This is part of the
Bootmgr.