Failure At Build (?) Stage When Making Ports?

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Thu Mar 11 16:14:02 PST 2004

On Thursday 11 March 2004 20:52, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> I'm trying to do things the "smart" way.  I have two machines running
> 4.9.  Instead of keeping a ports collection on both,  I have and update
> the collection on one named blacklamb.  Blacklamb runs Samba 2.2.8a_1.
> I created a samba share called "ports" and pointed it to /usr/ports.  I
> then used smbfs to mount "ports" on blacksheep (the other machine) at
> /usr/ports.  Here's the relevant portion of /etc/fstab from blacksheep:
>
> blacksheep> cat /etc/fstab
> # Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
> Pass#
> //<account>@blacklamb/ports /usr/ports smbfs rw,noauto             0
> 0
>
> On both machines, I edited /etc/make.conf to set "WRKDIRPREFIX=/var/tmp"
> so each would use it's own disk space when making ports.
>
> Ports build without error on blacklamb, the machine that has the ports
> tree locally but when building on blacksheep, they always fail.  I've
> read the Porter's Handbook to see what I could figure out.  I think
> blacksheep is failing at the actual "build" stage.  I posted a complete
> build log of an attempt to build the bacula client at
> http://drew.mykitchentable.net/Temp/blacksheep_bacula.txt.
>
> All attempts to build ports on blacksheep fail at this same point.  I
> have no idea what to check next so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Looking at the output I noticed it was
in /usr/var/tmp/usr/ports/theport/workdir/and/all/that.

Was that the intention? Or is there some symlink /usr/var to /var, considering
the WRKDIRPREFIX. Since the 'depend' step seems to work fine, your method in
itself can't be wrong. Maybe you need to use hard links for some reason that
I can't quite grasp (yet)...

If you're doing something with symlinks, I'd look there first for an
explanation why the build fails. It says 'can't read makefile'. You should be
able to find out which one that is (have it build locally without cleaning).

Amplify this if you also have a symlink /tmp to /var/tmp (consider scripts
using '../..' in paths etc). Does the same thing occur without using
portupgrade (which certainly uses /tmp), e.g. just make?

HTH,

Dan