5.2 upgrade and Exim delivery

joshua lokken joshlokken at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 11 14:33:47 PST 2004

Hello all,

I am working on becoming familiar with FreeBSD 5.x after using 4.x for the
past few years.
The machine in question is a web and mail server; I originally installed 5.1
from the mini iso,
then upgraded to RELENG_5_2 last weekend.  The upgrade went without
problems, as it
always has...and i did not change anything in Exim's configuration, but now

Exim no longer starts on system startup.  In /etc/rc.conf, I have:

sendmail_enable="NONE"
exim_enable="YES"

And the lines in /etc/mail/mailer.conf are changed from sendmail to exim
binary paths.

I have not received any mail since the upgrade, either.  I looked through
all of exim's
logs and found "failed to open DB file /var/spool/exim/db/retry:
Inappropriate file type
or format", then "spool directory space check failed:  space=0  inodes=0"
several times.

So, I looked around the spool dir to see what was happening, and found that
my mail
is now being delivered to /var/spool/clientmqueue, and not getting any
further.  The
message names in /var/spool/clientmqueue are differently-constructed than
those in my
exim spools, ie:

ls /var/spool/clientmqueue shows messages in form:  qfi2FB8SYT048073
ls /var/spool/exim/msglog shows messages in form:    1B11Vc-0000cm-S4

So, I'm wondering,

a) what went wrong during the upgrade?
b) how do I get my messages into the appropriate spool / delivered?

Thanks, and until I get this sorted out, please cc me, as my list address
mail is.....

Joshua Lokken

--
Best Regards,