amavisd - virusalert@example.com in maillog

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Thu Mar 11 07:49:24 PST 2004

In the last episode (Mar 11), Gareth Bailey said:
> I've got the following message appearing in my maillog over and over:
>
> maillog:4050:Mar 11 16:54:04 server postfix/smtp[7103]: D892D434C: to=<virusalert at example.com>, relay=none, delay=255114, status=deferred (connect to example.com[192.0.34.166]: Operation timed out)
>
> I can't seem to find where in the config file (amavisd.conf) it is specified. I've set the $mydomain variable and my notification reports in the same config file are as follows:

That has nothing to do with amavisd.  The server is trying to send an
email to virusalert at example.com, and is failing because the connection
to example.com (192.0.34.166) is timing out.  You might want to take a
look at the message in the queue and see if you mistyped an address, or
if it's a virus bounce.  example.com is an IANA reserved domain for use
in documentation or other places a dummy domainname is needed.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com