mount an ISO image on rw mode

Dan Strick strick at covad.net
Thu Mar 11 05:36:27 PST 2004

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:30:35 +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> Perhaps I am just being stupid, doing a lot of things at the same time,
> thus losing it.
> Am I just dreaming by imagining that I can mount an ISO image with write
> access?
>
> I have done
>
> [root at ns2]#vnconfig /dev/vn0c /wananchi/FreeSBIE-1.0-i386.iso
> [root at ns2]#mount_cd9660 /dev/vn0c /freesbie
>
> This mounts the image in read-only mode. However, I would like to modify
> a few files on the image before writing it to a CD.
>
> The man page for mount says that I could use -o -w to achieve a write
> mode. Does this also apply to ISO iamages? I was thinking that once
> mounted, they should behave like regular files, no?

I would have thought the answer was "no".  Normally one would use
/usr/ports/sysutils/mkisofs to create a new ISO image containing
the modified files and burn that ISO image on CD.  However, the man
page for mount_cd9660 (in FreeBSD release 4.9) gives this example
usage of the command:

	The following command can be used to mount a Kodak Photo-CD:

		mount_cd9660 -o rw -v -s 0 /dev/cd0c /cdrom

This might be a bad example.  Neither the man page for mount_cd9660
nor the man page for mount lists "rw" as option specifiable with the
"-o" flag.  The "-w" flag (which is not an "option") is listed on the
mount man page but not on mount_cd9660 man page.  I was under the
impression that the mount_cd9660 command only mounted file systems
read-only.

Dan Strick
strick at covad.net