Compiling Packages

Dan Pelleg daniel+bsd at pelleg.org
Thu Mar 11 05:23:29 PST 2004

Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> writes:
[...]
>> And can building be scheduled for off-peak times?
>
> Right now, not easily.  Over the next few months I hope to rewrite the
> build process to use Sun GridEngine, which will allow much more
> flexible control over which machines to use for which builds.  At that
> time I should be able to make better use of smaller remote build
> resources, but for now the only thing that would be really useful to
> me is a large cluster on a single LAN.

This is great news. You can now rent a machine for a month for around $70
(plus setup fees). Not a virtual host or a shared jailed environment (on
these you'll get frowned on for using 100% CPU). This much gets you real
root on a colocated physical machine.

So, trust issues aside, it looks like it is becoming much more practical to
rent (or receive donations of) remote hardware on a need basis, rather than
to own all of it all of the time.

--

  Dan Pelleg