Using int 13 while BSD is running

Sergey 'DoubleF' Zaharchenko doublef at tele-kom.ru
Thu Mar 11 05:02:48 PST 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:14:03 -0500 (EST)
Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu> probably wrote:

> Gee whiz, just let dd(1) do it for you.   It can seek to any position
> and read any number of bytes of a disk.

That's what I meant by `shellscript':).

> If it gets ornery, set the
> block size to 1 byte - a little slow and inefficient, but then it won't
> have trouble with other block arrangements.

The minimum blocksize is 512 bytes (at least on ATA drives; 2048 on
data CDROMS). You get an `invalid argument' error if you try using a
size which is not a multiple of 512. But after dd'ing, you can use
head(1)/tail(1) to get only the necessary info, right to the single
byte.

--
DoubleF
My mother loved children -- she would have given anything if I had been