A laptop worth saving?

Rob nospam at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Mar 11 00:00:49 PST 2004

Mike Jackson wrote:
> jalley at toomanymirrors.homelinux.com wrote:
>
>>Greetings all, I'm a long time unix/linux user but have been away from
>>FreeBSD for about a year or so and would like to solve that personal
>>fault.  I have a laptop (IBM ThinkPad T20) that once ran FreeBSD but
>>currently sits with out floppy, OS, and at last test <TA-DA> no CDROM.
>>So my question is what are my options if I wanted to get FreeBSD running
>>on it?  I have another Linux box on the LAN but that's about it.  Thanks
>>for any help
>

> You can install FreeBSD over the serial port with a null-modem cable.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-advanced.html

But he clains to have neither a floppy drive, nor a CD-rom.
I guess you need some very intelligent magic here to get FreeBSD (or
any other OS) installed under such conditions, if at all possible.

If the LANcard has an EEPROM, one could maybe boot via the network as a
starting point for installing FreeBSD on the local harddisk.

R.