SOLVED :-) Re: Wierd time changes

Mark Ovens mark at ukug.uk.freebsd.org
Wed Mar 10 14:12:54 PST 2004

Denis R. wrote:
> Hi Mark!
>
> Gee, who would have thought that it was the keyboard. Thanks for your
> ideas. I recompiled the kernel (Compaq SP700 dual PII-450) following the
> NOTES guidelines and your email, with these enabled:
> # To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
> options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
> device          apic                    # I/O APIC
>
> options NO_MIXED_MODE
> options BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET
> options EISA_SLOTS=12
>
> and in /boot/loader.conf
> kern.timecounter.method=1
>
> I still got the broken time (10 second test lasts 22 seconds). The server
> also hung upon the 'reboot' command while releasing the CPU1. Since it is

I had that (hanging) at one point; IIRC it was NO_MIXED_MODE that caused it.

> a production server, I switched back to my single CPU kernel.
>
> If you have any other suggestions, I'd appreciate the input.

Only to try with different value for kern.timecounter.method, but that's
just a guess. Does the output from ''sysctl -a kern.timecounter'' yield
any clues?

Apart from that I really can't be of any help. I take it you've done the
obvious and searched the mailing list and Google?

Regards,

Mark