ntpd question

Nathan Kinkade nkinkade at ub.edu.bz
Wed Mar 10 07:38:12 PST 2004

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 10:49:53PM -0500, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:
> I run ntpd to keep my server's time in sync with a remote server. In my
> "netstat -a" output, I see:
>
> Active Internet connections (including servers)
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
> udp4       0      0  localhost.ntp          *.*
> udp4       0      0  peter.ntp              *.*
> udp4       0      0  *.ntp                  *.*
>
> I'm not running an ntp server, and would like these entries to go away.
> I've looked at the ntpd man page and haven't been able to find any
> option to tell it not to attach to ports. How can I do this? TIA.
>
> 	-ste

You could run ntpd with the -q option, which should cause ntpd to run,
update the clock and then exit.  The ports will still be open during the
time in which ntpd is running, which will likely only be a minute or
two.  This doesn't necessarily solve your issue, but it will allow for
you to update your clock regularly and not have the ports open full time.
I run ntpd through a cron job that is set to run once a day, at a time
when Internet traffic is likely to be low.

Nathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys D8527E49