USB Driver Questions

admin2 at forkthepenguin.com admin2 at forkthepenguin.com
Tue Mar 9 23:03:04 PST 2004

How does one force the use of a particular driver for a USB device without
removing the preferred driver from the kernel conf? For example, I have an
HID compliant device that is handled by the uhid driver, however I wish to
use the ugen driver temporarily for some testing. I created the
appropriate entry in /etc/usbd.conf with :

devname "ugen[0-9]+"

But uhid0 continues to be used after restarting usbd. I also tried to
unload the uhid kernel module with kldunload, but I received an error that
the module could not be found even though it showed up under kldstat.
Recompiling the kernel without uhid support caused the desired effect, but
I'd rather not have to reboot everytime I want to switch drivers.

Thanks in advance,

Chris