A question on installing printer

Stephen Liu satimis at icare.com.hk
Tue Mar 9 19:40:11 PST 2004

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 01:21, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
- snip -

> > # lptest > /dev/lpt0
> >
> > One line printed on 1st page as follow;
> >
> > !"#$%&'()*
> > +,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJK.....XYZ......abcdefghijk.......xyz....
> >
> > It seemed OK but paper feed-in continued with 'no_paper' light on (I put
> > only 1 paper in the tray)
>
> Sounds fine.
>
> You have more configuration you'll want to do; see the Handbook
> chapter for an extensive explanation.  Personally, I use apsfilter
> (from the ports) to configure and run my Deskjet.

Hi Lowell,

Tks for your response.

Later I also used 'apsfilter' to config my printer.  The printtest looked
perfect, a complete page filled with nice tiger heads, text and grid border.
But still I could not print documents.  Hereinunder was my tests;

/etc/printcap
HPDJ690C|cdj670;r=300x300;q=medium;c=full;p=a4;m=auto:\
    :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
    :if=/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/HPDJ690C:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/HPDJ690C/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/HPDJ690C/acct:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:

Following line added to /etc/rc.conf
lpd_enable="YES"

# lpr -P HPDJ690C clean.txt
Only strange symbols printed. 'No paper' light was flashing.

# lprm -P HPDJ690C
dfA006localhost dequeued
cfA006localhost dequeued

# lpq -P HPDJ690C
no entries

But 'No paper' light was still flashing. Turned off the printer and turned on
again the light gone. (I put only one paper on the tray otherwise the printer
will contiue to eject papers)

On KDE desktop started a text document
Started printing
File -> Print
Print system currently used <Generic UNIX LPD Print System (default)>
Printer Name - HPDJ690C
Clicked <Print>

Only strange symbols printed out and 'no paper' light flashing.

Remark: also tried
Print system currently used <LPR/LPRng Print System>
same result:- strange symbols and light flashing

A folk on this list mentioning
> Once you do this you can insert setup codes via an input filter ahead of
> the data to be printed and most printers including many HP models have a
> code which switches the interpretation of the LF character.

I have no idea how to make it and am still waiting his advice.

I am searching around for solutions but still could not find it.

B.R.
Stephen