How To Set PKG_PATH?

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Tue Mar 9 15:41:53 PST 2004

Kris Kennaway told a big fish story including the following on 3/9/2004
1:29 PM:

>On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 08:17:51AM -0800, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>

>>Sorry if this has been covered before but I have not been able to find
>>the answer.  Where do I set PKG_PATH so portupgrade will install
>>packages from a local drive instead of attempting to 'fetch'?  I tried
>>adding 'PKG_PATH=/usr/ports/packages' to /etc/make.conf but that doesn't
>>work.  Portupgrade still tries to 'fetch'?
>>

>It's an environment variable, set it in your environment :-) Typically
>this is done in a script read by your shell at login time: ~/.cshrc or
>~/.tcshrc for csh or tcsh, ~/.profile for sh.

Thanks for your reply.  I added 'set env PKG_PATH=/usr/ports/packages'
to /root/.cshrc.  However when this didn't change anything, I
double-checked the contents of  /usr/ports/packages and found the
package was not there and that's why portupgrade is trying to fetch.
Dumb mistake on my part.   :-)    I'm still learning how all of this
fits together and am trying to get away from keeping a ports tree on
each machine.  It's turning out to be more difficult than I expected.

Thanks,

Drew