MAKEDEV question

Stephen Liu satimis at icare.com.hk
Tue Mar 9 07:47:17 PST 2004

- snip -

> > After reboot
> > # dmesg
> > Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
> > ppbus0: <HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 690C> MLC,PCL,PML
> > plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
> > lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
> > lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
> > ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
> >
> > # ls -l /dev/lpt0
> > crw------- 1 root wheel 16, 0 Mar 9 01:17 /dev/lpt0
> >
> > Repeated step-2 and step-3 above
> > (also no printout)
> >
> > # lptest > /dev/lpt0
> >
> > One line printed on 1st paper as follow;
> > !"#$%&'()*
> > +,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJK.....XYZ......abcdefghijk.......xyz....
> >
> > It seemed OK but feed-in paper continued with 'no_paper' light on (I put
> > only 1 paper in the tray)

Hi Malcolm,

> If you just run the utility lptest without redirecting the output you will
> see on the screen what you should expect to print.

Yes.  There are many lines there similar to printer self-testing

> Do you get one printed line or a full page?

Only one line then the page eject.

> One line implies that 2nd and subsequent lines have disappeared of to the
> right as BSD does not supply a CR, only LF, at end of line. You may find a
> you can set up your printer to interpret LF as CR-LF.

Where can I config/add 'CR-LF'

> As for running out of paper -- lptest produces 200 lines -- and even if
> these have disappeared off the right then they need about 3 pages of A4.

No it continued to run until I removed all papers from the printer tray.

> I gather you have not yet got as far as setting up /etc/printcap or
> starting the print daemon lpd.

/etc/printcap
HPDJ690C|cdj670;r=300x300;q=medium;c=full;p=a4;m=auto:\
    :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
    :if=/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/HPDJ690C:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/HPDJ690C/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/HPDJ690C/acct:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:

Following line added to /etc/rc.conf
lpd_enable="YES"

> Once you do this you can insert setup codes via an input filter ahead of
> the data to be printed and most printers including many HP models have a
> code which switches the interpretation of the LF character.

Kindly advise how to make it.   TIA

B.R.
satimis