Wierd time changes

Mark Ovens mark at ukug.uk.freebsd.org
Mon Mar 8 16:01:34 PST 2004

Mark Ovens wrote:
> Denis R. wrote:
>> Hi Mark and list members,
>>
>> I am experiencing the same problem on my dual PII-450 SP700 Compaq Pro
>> workstation. After poking around on Google, it is pointing to the FreeBSD
>> and a i8254 programmable interupt timer. In my case the time is lagging
>> behind 10 times! What does your:
>> #time sleep 10
>> show?
>
> redshift# time sleep 10
> 0.000u 0.001s 0:10.00 0.0%      0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w
> redshift#
>
> The clock maintains the correct time whilst FreeBSD is running, it just
> suddenly changes, at least somewhere "inside" FreeBSD, during shutdown
> but doesn't screw the system clock until the next reboot, and even after
> that it maintains consistent, but incorrect, time; i.e. it doesn't gain
> or lose at a steady rate.

To follow up:

Based on your comments Denis, I tried the
kern.timecounter.hardware=i8254 workround - didn't work. I also spun a
UP kernel - that didn't work either. Confirms that it is something
specific to my machine (or the Asus A7M266-D m/b and BIOS).

Where does FreeBSD store the corrupted time across reboots though and,
more importantly, why?

I don't know where to go from here. I do have an old IDE drive lying
around so I guess I could put 4.9 on that and see if the problem exists
there as well.

Regards,

Mark