E-Mail Gateway

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Mon Mar 8 14:44:15 PST 2004

On Mar 8, 2004, at 12:33 PM, Wright, Greg wrote:

> Bart, thanks for the reply !!
>
> I had been looking at qmail with clam and spamassassin, but somebody
> told me that qmail might not be appropriate as a secure mail gateway.
> It was not designed to route mail, but instead to act as just a mail
> server for local mailboxes.
>
> I'll take another look at postfix.
>
> Thanks again.

As a side note: I'm not trying to start an MTA war :-)

I've used Qmail a long time ago; it's fast, it's very secure, and I
liked it.  I chose postfix for this particular case because I wasn't
doing anything elaborate with the messages and I wanted something that
was as "compatible" as possible...the exact configuration for the
system I was setting up I couldn't find any simple HOWTOs for, and
there is a lot of material for Sendmail and Postfix floating around out
there and if documentation said that a particular program, like Amavis,
worked with Sendmail then chances were pretty good that it would work
with Postfix too since Postfix was designed to be a drop-in replacement
for Sendmail.

Postfix is also pretty simple to set up, in my experiences.

Once I get the server here set up to production level, I'm planning on
writing up how I configured it and I'm hoping to get permission to put
it in out for people to use as a reference if they have a project like
this one to do; I don't know if people would be interested but I know I
could have used a guide like this :-)

-Bart