portupgrade and binary packages

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon Mar 8 13:51:18 PST 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 02:39:18PM +0100, Michael Sig Birkmose wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I recently tried to switch from compiling everything myself from ports, to
> use portupgrade -PP package_name.
>
> However, after having run CVSUP on my ports tree, I run into the problem,
> that the binary packages from ftp.something.freebsd.org are far behind the
> version in the portstree.
>
> After a little bit of digging, I found out that
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5-current/ has much
> newer binary packages.
>
> However it stills is a bit behind?
> What is the solution to this problem, or is there none? I would really
> like to avoid compiling things...

Since computers and mirror site bandwidth are still not infinitely
fast, there will always be a time lag between the packages on the ftp
site and the ports in the ports collection [1].  Unfortunately this
means that you can't have it both ways: either you can compile the
latest versions of all the ports yourself, or you can install packages
that are a bit older.

Kris

[1] Of course, if you want to reduce this lag we'd be happy to accept
donations of a dozen or so fast build machines :-)