Installation - More user friendly

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Mon Mar 8 09:30:10 PST 2004

Shaun T. Erickson wrote:

> JJB wrote:
>
>> WD
>> My web spider robot found this web site which is not on any of the
>> search engines yet.
>> www.a1poweruser.com
>> Looks like it offers what you want in the way of user-friendly
>> step-by-step instructions to installing FBSD.
>

> 1) Surreptitiously plugging your own site, is crass, at best.
> 2) Not telling him you charge for everything there, is devious.

Yet another 2c' worth...

If anyone writes any documentation for FreeBSD, an operating system they
got for free and learned about for free, partly through reading free
documentation submitted by others, I'd personally admire their efforts
more if it was submitted to the handbook. Luckily for us all, some
people have taken this view already.

The reason FreeBSD does not have graphical tools and wizards for the
installation (or anything else, really) is that nobody who could has
felt inclined to write the code for them. That's for some pretty obvious
reasons. For example, no functional advantage would be gained from
hundreds of hours of work. A bigger user base comprising more unskilled
users would not work, even with smart graphical tools, without some kind
of support infrastructure. Where's that going to come from? A lot of
people are sick of wrestling with systems that have gui tools that
either don't work properly or don't work at all (though this has
improved in recent years), and don't let you beneath them so you can fix
the problem directly.

But there's nothing stopping anyone using the existing code and writing
some snazzy tools, then selling it as a commercial distribution. It's
almost worth typing that again for emphasis. A commercial distro would
be the channel through which support infrastructures could be developed.

The various Linux distros illustrate this. Red Hat, Mandrake and others
charge money and provide graphical installs. Debian, probably the Linux
distro closest to FreeBSD in orientation, does neither.

Hardware compatibility aside, it's arguable that the answer to this is
that if you want a graphical, simple to use version of FreeBSD, then buy
Apple OS X.

PWR.