Update utility

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Mon Mar 8 09:22:12 PST 2004

On Mar 8, 2004, at 12:15 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> Is there any utility in FreeBSD 4.9 to check for possible updates/bug
> fixes
> via internet?

I *think* have have kind of a handle on this on the server I just
installed...

I usually do a cvsup to update the list of the ports tree, then use a
procedure I picked out of http://www.freebsddiary.org/portupgrade.php
to update applications with portupgrade.

If anyone else has a method other than this, I'd love to know the
procedure :-)

This only updates ports.  Updating FreeBSD, I don't know of anything
other than if you find a security advisory, you have to have the src
tree and patch that portion and recompile whatever had the
vulnerability, following the advisory instructions.  I'm thinking that
since most daemons/applications are from ports, keeping your ports tree
updated should limit most remote exploits...I would be interested in
knowing of a way to check whether the installation of the OS is up to
date, though.