pam_acct_mgmt(): user account has expired (was Re:Login         Problem)

Larry Hammer larrykh465 at SoftHome.net
Mon Mar 8 01:09:16 PST 2004

On Saturday, March 06, 2004 5:42:56 PM Barry Hawkins
<ly5t5 at allthingscomputed.com> wrote:

On Mar 4, 2004, at 1:33 PM, Gerard Seibert wrote:

> I am running FreeBSD 5.2.1 - RELEASE #0: Mon Feb 23 20:45:55 GMT 2004
>
> It seems that I can no longer log into my system. Upon boot-up, the
> usually login appears. I enter my normal login and then my password. I
> am
> then greeted with this error message:
>
> BudMan login: pam_acct_mgmt(1): user account has expired
> Login Incorrect.
>
> Shortly afterwards I receive these error messages:
>
> BudMan cron[538] _secure_path: /usr/home/ges/.login_conf is not owned
> by
> root
>
> The last error message will repeat with the number getting
> progressively
> higher.
>
> This is a fresh install of FreeBSD. The only thing I added was KDE 3.2
> today. Can anyone tell me what has happened and how do I get back into
> my
> system?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Gerard Seibert
> gerard-seibert at rcn.com

Gerard,
        I am having a similar issue logging in on 5.2.1-RC2, and it seems to
have happened around the time I added a user and some groups using the
KUser utility in KDE.  All accounts, including root, are "expired".  My
error message is:

        login: pam_acct_mgmt(): user accound has expired
        Login Incorrect.

Then, a bit later, I receive messages like the following:

        kernel: psmintr: out of sync (0008 != 0000)
        kernel: psmintr: discard a byte(1)

        On a side note, the message really does display "accound" instead of
"account"; it's not a typo of mine.  Searches on the following phrases
within the questions and newbies mailing lists produced no leads for me
to research:
        'pam_acct_mgmt(): user accound has expired'
        'pam_acct_mgmt():'
        'psmintr'

Regards,
--