tun devices and firewall

Tim Pushor timp at crossthread.com
Sun Mar 7 10:42:34 PST 2004

JJB,

Wow those are some very powerful opinions that you have and are touting
as fact.

Regardless, I was not asking about the relative stability of the current
branch, or advise on coding rules. I simply have a firewall that I have
a default deny, and I write rules for what I want to allow. I have a
couple of on again off again PPP over SSH tunnels (that I will get rid
of, *that* seems like a dirty solution to me) that I am sure are going
to give me grief.

I also use mpd to allow a couple of pptp connections, and packets coming
from ng0-4 were failing (because there was no rule allowing them).

I added a rule to allow traffic coming from ng0-4, and would like to do
something similar for the tun devices. Of course, there are other ways
to accomplish this, I was just wondering if I could get the interfaces
created before the firewall started up somehow. I did try to add a
number to the tun device in the kernel config file, but it didn't like
it (as I had suspected). Its just that adding a rule based on the tun
devices is fairly clean, and easy to understand by someone going through
the rules ..

Tim