portsdb issues

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Sat Mar 6 14:20:23 PST 2004

On Saturday 06 March 2004 01:56 pm, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:
> Kent Stewart wrote:
> > Did you recvsup ...
>
> Apparently I'm new enough to FreeBSD that I don't understand you. I
> ran cvsup on my docs, my system source and my ports, and ran portsdb
> -Uu afterwards. When I run them again, there is nothing to download.
> That tells me I have everything.
>
> I guess I don't know what you want me to do.

When you ran cvsup on ports-all and there was't anything to download,
you had done the re-cvsup. I did a cvsup of ports-all just before I did
the make index. I have a script that does the cvsup and generate the
indexes. I make fewer mistakes that way.

How do you run cvsup? What do you use on the command line. For example,
I use

cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile

You might also change the mirror in your cvsup file. For example, I have

*default host=cvsup11.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=.
*default delete use-rel-suffix

Occasionally, a mirror will get stuck for one reason or another. The
only way you can find out is if you have problems, change the mirror to
something like cvsup16, and the problem goes away.

If you do this and still have problems, you should probably move your
problem to ports at freebsd.org. There are more things that you can do but
they get messy :).

The mirrors mostly update on the hour. Cvsuping less than an hour apart
may be using the same old data. You need to wait until 15-20 minutes
after the hour for the mirror to be updated. I mirror most of the data
and it takes around 8 minutes for a mirror update to finish.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA