Enabling quotas

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Mar 6 10:31:05 PST 2004

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 11:30:07AM -0500, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> I am running 5.2.1 and trying to enable quotas, I see that I need to
> build and install my own custom kernel to support this? I read the
> Chapter 9 in the Handbook, but don't quite understand one thing. I can't
> seem to locate what changes I need to make to the new kernel
> configuration  before building it in order to enable quotas. Can someone
> clarify this for me?

You need to add the line:

    options      QUOTA

to your kernel configuration.  If this is the first time you've ever
got your feet wet with kernel compilation, start off with something
very close to GENERIC.  In fact, copy GENERIC to YOURKERNCONF, edit
YOURKERNCONF to change the 'ident' line so it reads:

    ident YOURKERNCONF

and add the 'options QUOTA' line at the end of the big block of
options stuff that follows next in the file.

Then build yourself a kernel, install it and reboot, following the
instructions in the Hadbook for the exact way to do that.  With such a
minimal change, you're pretty much assured of success.  You can
develop a more highly customized kernel with minimal risk of failure
by making small incremental changes in this manner, at least until you
run out of patience with repeatedly recompiling the kernel.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way