kernel panic messages?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Mar 6 10:13:31 PST 2004

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 04:32:18PM +0000, Ben Paley wrote:
> On Thursday 04 March 2004 7:37 pm, you wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 06:07:04PM +0000, Ben Paley wrote:
> > > I want to submit information about a kernel panic which happens at boot
> > > time. The machine reboots and I can boot kernel.old: where do I find the
> > > logs and traces and things I might need to show to someone who knows what
> > > they're doing?
> >
> > You need to setup your machine to capture the appropriate data after
> > the panic.  There's general information about how to do that in a
> > series of articles here:
> >
> >     http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/03/21/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
> >     http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/04/04/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
>
> I've got myself a core dump and a kernel.debug, and I know at least enough to
> start gdb - thanks to the articles you pointed me to: thanks for that (I
> don't really know what I'm doing, however).
>
> I tried submitting a trancript of my gdb session to the freebsd-current list,
> but haven't had a reply, which I guess is my fault for some ignorance of
> something... what do I need to include, do you think, to make my request
> acceptable to the busy people on the list? (Obviously you are not busy at all
> and I can waste your time as much as I like ;-) Apart from making sure I'm
> working with recent sources.

Give it a while.  Someone may yet reply.

> Or is it worth posting it all on this list?
>
> What this all really means, of course, is that I'm too ignorant to be running
> current at all. But now that I'm here... well, thanks for your help, anyway.

We all have to learn somewhere.  I'm no expert on the intricacies of
kernel debugging, but these lines:

    Error while reading shared library symbols:
    rtc.ko: No such file or directory.

    #11 0xc05f3b8d in linker_load_file (filename=0xc37f9320 "/usr/local/modules/rtc.ko", result=0xd7654cb0) at /usr/src/sys/kern/kern_linker.c:357

I should think are the key to the problems you're seeing.  What is
/usr/local/modules/rtc.ko ?  Does it exist on your machine, and if so,
Where does it come from?  As far as I know RTC means 'real time
clock', and I don't think it's the sort of device that you'ld
generally have a loadable module for.  Whatever it is, it seems to be
the ACPI modules that are triggering the attempt to load it.  You
should review your kernel config, comparing it against GENERIC and the
various NOTES files to make sure you haven't made any mistakes.

But, yes -- generally unless you're prepared to cope with crashes and
do some debugging work, you shouldn't be running current.  What
happens if you CVS up the latest RELENG_5_2 sources, do a full
buildworld, etc. cycle and then try your custom kernel config.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way