in FreeBSD-4.5R: nl_langinfo() - where is it?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Mar 6 05:46:10 PST 2004

Charles Bacon wrote:
> I've downloaded the FreeBSD 4.5-version of OpenOffice.org1.1.0 -
> this is the second version of OpenOffice.org I've tried.
> Incanting openoffice-1.1 (or any of the symlinks which point to it)
> results in the message
>   /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:
>   /usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program/libsal.so.3: Undefined symbol
>   "nl_langinfo"

The manpage for that function says it's supposed to be in libc, and also says:
"The nl_langinfo() function first appeared in FreeBSD 4.6."

While I would imagine that you could recompile OpenOffice yourself and get a
binary that will work-- assuming OO autoconfigures itself whether to use that
function-- it's almost certainly less effort to upgrade to FreeBSD 4.9, which
would also move you to a more secure/supported version of the OS.

--
-Chuck

PS: A few things have changed over the past two years-- /usr/src/UPDATING says
"20020129: FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE"...  :-)