Binary file created in / with same name as root password, seemingly sporadically

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Fri Mar 5 05:26:46 PST 2004

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 05:11:49AM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 06:27:04AM -0600, Jonathan Neill wrote:
> > Why yes, as a matter of fact it is^H^Hwas...
> >
> > Something special about it?
>
> Only that it's a spectacularly bad password that happens to coincide
> with an unrelated FreeBSD file.  I hope your new root password isn't
> "COPYRIGHT" or "kernel" :-)

You know, there's something deeply ironic about using the low-entropy
word "entropy" for what should be a high-entropy password, then
reducing the entropy still further by posting to a public mailing list
with a clue to what it is.  Moreover, your confusion surrounds the
/entropy file, which is used by the system to store high-quality
entropy data for seeding purposes.

:-)

Kris0`&$31U2A?7+_0)&5SQ%,HK2G-+[;T_DP),)[/#N\WP2.VP2P,EME8BZDGF