filesystem

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at apropo.ro
Fri Mar 5 05:20:28 PST 2004

[ 72 chars / line, please ]

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 00:44:06 -0500
gRaPneLL at netscape.net wrote:

> Hi, I can't seem to edit or create files under any other directory
> other than /usr, /var, or /home (and there respective subdirectories)
> even as root.  i get the error: filesystem full.
>
> I have an 80 gig HD and a fresh install of FreeBSD, so i know my hd is
> not full. perhaps this has something to do with the partitioning
> scheme.  I am new to FreeBSD, but I have been a linux user for some
> time, so i am basically familiar with commands.
>
> I cannot create a new user(tried kuser/ adduser and sysinstall util)
> I cannot edit any system files under /etc.
> I cannot create any new directories under / and copy anything into
> them. in fact, I cannot do anything unless it entails writing to /usr,
> /var or /home.

Well, your / partition is full. You can edit on /var, /usr, /home
because they are on separate partitions. You have to find out why is
full; du(1) is your frient for that. If you don't have a partition
mounted on /tmp then this is your answer. See what is in /tmp, delete
what is not needed, symlink /tmp to /var/tmp.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD user