vinum crashed

Tony Frank tfrank at optushome.com.au
Fri Mar 5 04:37:31 PST 2004

Hi there,

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 09:14:06AM +0100, Axel S. Gruner wrote:
> I setup a disk stripping with two disks and vinum. I was impressed about
> the quick and easy setup.
> The configuration is, that i installed FreeBSD 5.2.1-RC2 on /, a little
> bit of swap, and the gave the rest for vinum.
> So the two disks have both a bootable / and /usr and /var is on vinum.
> All went fine and was working.
> Yes, was...
> A colleague of mine went to the server, took the first HD out, and tried
> to boot. Crash. Single user mode. Thats it. (strange guy...).
> Ok, i put the second HD in, rebooted the server, and still found myself
> in single user.
> fsck on vinum does not work (but the filesystem wants to do a fsck).
> So i looked at "vinum ls" output an saw that vinum is marked as "crashed".
>
> After a
> #vinum
> vinum --> start
>
> the stripping was up again. Happy happy joy joy i thought and i booted
> into multiuser mode.
> To test it out, i rebooted the machine, and, no more happy happy und no
> more joy joy, the system boots in single user mode, wants to fsck vinum,
> can not do that....
>
> Yes, i know, it would be fine to post some error messages, but right now
> i dont have any access to that machine.
> So, what could be the problem, and how to solve it.
>
> I appreciate any hints.

Do you include start_vinum="YES" in your /etc/rc.conf ?  It is likely given
information about past working, but maybe it was lost/changed?

After a subdisk has crashed the data is still valid so a 'vinum start' should
bring the plex back online.  This will then give you full access to your
filesystems.
At that point you should run fsck on the vinum volumes to ensure no errors.

Anytime you start in single user mode you will need to begin with a
'vinum start' command at least to get vinum going unless you load vinum
in /etc/loader.conf or something.

To help any further we would need some specific error details.

Regards,

Tony