redirecting /tmp

Robey Holderith robey at alltel.net
Thu Mar 4 18:37:22 PST 2004

I'm trying to find a way to set an environmental variable so that the
system will use /usr/tmp or something instead of /tmp as a temporary
directory.

The story is that I was attempting to change the size of /usr remotely.
  I backed up all the data and then copied the bare necessities over to
/tmp then changed fstab so the drive formerly known as /usr was never
mounted and /tmp was mounted as /usr.  Great! it worked... but now su
isn't working... because now /tmp is 755.

Any insights are welcome.

-Robey Holderith