Followup on KDE 3.2 and 4-STABLE

Charles McManis cmcmanis at mcmanis.com
Thu Mar 4 14:36:48 PST 2004

Well I finally have KDE3.2 on my system, however to get it there required an
install of 4.9.

The backstory: I was running 4.8 + KDE3.1, wanted to upgrade to KDE3.2.

No amount of portupgrading/rebuilding/package fetching seemed to get me past
KDE 3.1. By the time I was done I had to do a pkg_delete -a and re-install
KDE 3.1 just to get to a stable system again.

I finally gave up, and did a clean install of 4.9 from CD with no packages
installed.

Next I install the cvsup package and cvsup'd the ports tree.

Doing that and then make/installing portupgrade gets you ruby 1.8 and the
latest port upgrade.

Then I could go into /usr/ports/x11/kde3 and do a make; make install.

30 hrs later my system has all of KDE 3.2 installed.

I expect I'll get my subscription copy of 4.10 in the mail with KDE 3.2 today
(it would be poetic justice)

On the compilation front. It is impossible to get a clean link with the gcc
2.95 toolchain. You'll get warnings about unsafe function calls. This does
not happen with the gcc 3.3 toolchain as far as I can tell.

The "GLX" error that is printed when a KDE application is run relates to a
lack of OpenGL support on the X Server. It shouldn't complain unless the
application requires OpenGL.

--Chuck