kernel panic messages?

Ben Paley ben at spooty.net
Thu Mar 4 12:37:17 PST 2004

On Thursday 04 March 2004 7:37 pm, you wrote:

> You need to setup your machine to capture the appropriate data after
> the panic.  There's general information about how to do that in a
> series of articles here:
>
>     http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/03/21/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
>     http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/04/04/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

This is great stuff: I'm compiling a debugging kernel as I type

> However, you're seeing panics in the boot sequence: if that's actually
> early on during booting, the system won't have initialised the disks
> systems, so it can't record a crashdump.

It's before I can log in, but really at the end of the whole process: the
disks have already been checked and so on, so I reckon I stand a good chance
of getting a dump.

> but unless you're pretty much up-to-speed with kernel development,
> you're probably not going to be able to extract much useful
> information that way.

Not me! But I know someone who knows what all this stuff means (ie the
-current@ list)

Thanks very much,
Ben