inetd[520] ssh/tcp: bind: Address already in use ???

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Mar 4 00:56:06 PST 2004

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 03:45:41PM +0800, rfa at msumain.edu.ph wrote:
> I rebooted my system and wondered why the commadn line said
>
> Mar  4  15:13:16 rfa inetd[520]: ssh/tcp: bind: Address already in use

Because you shouldn't be trying to run sshd(8) standalone and out of
inetd(8) at the same time.  I'd advise you not to run sshd(8) out of
inetd(8): sshd(8) has to do quite a lot of heavy crypto stuff when it
starts up, and running it out of inetd will force it to do that for
every new connection.  You're quite likely to end up running out of
random numbers from /dev/random and seeing your ssh connections
hanging.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way