1 processor vs. 2

Scott W wegster at mindcore.net
Wed Mar 3 20:34:56 PST 2004

Stefan Cars wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Following up on this I'm also looking into buying some servers and have
> the almost the same scenario, a MySQL DB together with apache with
> mod_perl and embperl, (alot of SQL and dynamic content). Would we be
> better off with:
>
> Dual Xeon, 2.4 GHZ with 2GB of RAM or Xeon 3.0 GHZ with 2GB of RAM
> and
> RAID-1 on three disks or RAID-5 on three disks.
>

> Will the difference between 2.4 and 3.0 really do that much ? Isn't the
> SMP system better.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Stefan Cars

With that small a difference in CPU speed for the purpose you state, I'd
definitely go with the dual 2.4 Xeon setup.  Unless the FreeHSD SMP
implemetation is _really_ bad, which I haven't seen any indication of at
all, the SMP system will perform better when you're going to have
multiple relatively heavy duty processes and threads running at once, as
in the case of a web server with dynamic content hitting a database.

Someone commented on RAID-5 with 3 disks being useless- it isn't, but
most setups have at least a hot spare designated, and some vendors (IBM,
unsure of others offhand) also 'extend' RAID-5 to include the hot spare
in different methods (ie RAID-5E, RAID-5EE).

Some relatively experienced comments on your config-
Add more disk if possible.  A striped (2x disk) OS dedicated disk will
improve performance a bit, but you'd probably do better using seperate
physical disks (or logical RAID volumes but comprised of different
physical disks) between the database and the web content, resulting in
less I/O contention between the two (web server and DB).

RAID-1 across 3 disks is a bit of overkill IMHO, as you're still limited
to a bit less than the throughput for a single disk.  Use a single disk
(or striped pair) for the OS (seperate disk for swap if you anticipate
heavy swapping), a RAID-1 mirror for the Database data/files, and
another disk for web content.  If the content is reasonably unchanging,
(the HTML), or you have the content in a source control or content
management system, then the DB data is arguably more important so should
get the RAID redundancy...then just back up the HTML and web content
regularly, or perhaps snapshot it to spare space on the RAID volume
nightly.  That woould be something along the lines of:
Vol 1 (non-RAID or RAID-0 striped of $ allows, so single or dual disks)-
FreeBSD

Vol 2 - web content.  Single disk or RAID-1 mirror, again depending on $

Vol 3 - DB content.  RAID-1 mirror, only for DB use.

If heavy swapping is expected, then allocate swap space on one of the
other disks, but it will obviously affect performance.

Do NOT use a single RAID-5 for both web and DB, unless performance is
secondary- you _will_ see high amounts of I/O wait states as the server
becomes more loaded.  If $ allowed, making each RAID-5 or RAID-1 but
using seperate physical disks for each volume would be ideal..some RAID
hardware and/or software allow you to span different types of RAID
configurations across the same disks, which is great for the budget (ie
3 physical disks, but having a RAID-1 volume across _parts_ of two
physical disks, and the rest being a RAID-5 volume), but again, you'll
eventually run into disk seek and I/O issues...

Scott