latest security advisory and 5.1R

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Mar 3 08:30:52 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 09:00:09AM -0500, Ed Budd wrote:

> I think what's confusing me here is that I assumed that 5.1R was
> still "officially supported" and every other advisory up to this one has
> been included, like last week's FreeBSD-SA-04:03.jail advisory, for
> example. So am I to assume then that as of this week 5.1R is no longer
> "officially supported"?

Hmmm... Well, the official word on the subject should be the page at
http://www.freebsd.org/releng/index.html, and yes, that does imply
that 5.1-R is a "supported security fix branch", but a quick check in
CVS shows no patches have been applied to that branch.

There are some changes in the affected files in src/sys/netinet/
between RELENG_4_8, RELENG_4_9, RELENG_5_1 and RELENG_5_2, but the
patch applied to 5.2 was quite similar to the one applied to 4.8 or
4.9, so I'd guess that the affected section of code is still there in
the RELENG_5_1 sources.  No idea if you can merge in the changes on
the RELENG_5_2 branch to the RELENG_5_1 branch without modification
though.

You might want to ask on freebsd-security@ if 5.1-R is still a
supported security fix branch.

	Cheers,