1 processor vs. 2

Stefan Cars stefan at snowfall.se
Wed Mar 3 05:05:32 PST 2004

Hi!

Following up on this I'm also looking into buying some servers and have
the almost the same scenario, a MySQL DB together with apache with
mod_perl and embperl, (alot of SQL and dynamic content). Would we be
better off with:

Dual Xeon, 2.4 GHZ with 2GB of RAM or Xeon 3.0 GHZ with 2GB of RAM
and
RAID-1 on three disks or RAID-5 on three disks.

Will the difference between 2.4 and 3.0 really do that much ? Isn't the
SMP system better.

Kind Regards,
Stefan Cars

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Scott W wrote:

> Joseph Koenig wrote:
>
> >I'm putting together a system that will host a relatively small database
> >(around 20,000 records), as well as run Apache / PHP to search that
> >database. I have the option in front of me to use a P III dual 1GHz machine
> >with a SCSI Raid 5, or to use a single P4 2.8 GHz with a SCSI Raid 1. Both
> >have 1GB RAM. I'm looking to use MySQL as the DB. The site that this machine
> >will host gets about 2 million hits per months (yes, hits, not pageviews or
> >visitors) from about 21,000 unique visitors. Does anyone have an opinion as
> >to which machine will perform best under this scenario? Obviously, both
> >would run FreeBSD. Thanks,
> >
> >Joe Koenig
> >Production Manager
> >jWeb New Media Design
> >joe at jWebmedia.com
> >http://www.jwebmedia.com/
> >636.928.3162

> Someone else already mentioned this, but RAID-1 will be faster than the
> RAID-5 at the storage level, if the RAID-5 array is a relatively small #
> of drives.  If you're talking about 2 disk RAID-1 versus 10 disks
> RAID-5, those numbers may change.  If the drives are integrated into the
> systems, it's also possible the RAID-1 disks are faster drives than the
> RAID-5 drives...
>
> If you're going to run the DB and web server on the same system with a
> high percentage of static pages, the SMP system may help out.
>
> If you have almost all dynamic content is full of complex DB queries,
> the P4 would do better based solely on CPU speed.
>
> How about RAID-1 on the dual PIII and keep the P4 as a workstation? :-)
>
> The PIII is likely up to the task, but it really depends on the type of
> content (is _everything_ PHP generating dynamic content, every page
> hitting the DB etc?)
>
> Scott

Stefan Cars
Snowfall Communications
Tel: +46 (0)18 430 80 50 - Direct: +46 (0)18 430 80 51
Mobile: +46 (0)708 44 36 00 - Fax: +46 (0)708 44 36 04

SNOWFALL DISCLAIMER:
The information contained in this email and in any
attachments is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient, please destroy this message and notify the sender
immediately. You should not retain, copy or use this email for any
purpose, nor disclose all or any part of its content to any other person.
Snowfall Communications.

Snowfall Communications monitors the content of emails sent and received
via its network for unauthorised use and for other lawful business
purposes. The contents of an attachment to this email may contain viruses
which could damage your computer system. While Snowfall Communications has
taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept
liability for any damage which you sustain as a result of software
viruses. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening the
attachment.