Swap space - max size

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Mar 2 21:30:29 PST 2004

Jamie wrote:
>    Is there any point in adding more than 2 Gb of swap space on an x86 if
> you have 2 Gb of ram?

Yes.

> From what I've read, x86 can address 4 Gb of memory,
> so it would seem that more than 4 Gigs of combined memory and swap space
> would be wasted. Am I right?

You would be right if all of the memory was only being used by one process.
However, each process has it's own 4GB of virtual address space, although
typically the top 1 GB is actually shared (ie, is used by the kernel), and
other complications (like using SysV shared memory) can change this further.

--
-Chuck