kernel compile Q - How to get the speaker to work?

Johnson David DavidJohnson at Siemens.com
Tue Mar 2 17:00:26 PST 2004

On Tuesday 02 March 2004 04:28 pm, Tadimeti Keshav wrote:

> I added to my kernel config file:
> device pca
> (this was mentioned in the NOTES file)

Typically a PC speaker is not an audio device in the normal sense of the
term. It's there just to make beeps, and not music. It's not going to
do what you probably want it to do.

> secondly, what is the use of adding:
> device udbp
> This is a USB double pipe. But what does it do.

I'm sort of partial to the traditional Linux kernel configuration
comment of "if you don't know what this is then you don't need it."
Since there are no devices listed in the Hardware notes using this
driver, and it's commented out be default in the GENERIC kernel, I'm
fairly confident that you don't need it.

David