USB 2.0 harddisk performance

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Mar 2 09:19:04 PST 2004

Guy Van Sanden wrote:
[ ...in reference to USB 2 vs Firewire performance... ]
> Thanks for your answer.

You're welcome.

> I was googling for this, and I found out that you need some modules:
> firewire.c fwohci.c fwohci_pci.c

Yes, although FreeBSD 4.9 should have come with the module already compiled
and available for use.  See whether you have:

/modules/firewire.ko

...on your system, otherwise add a "device firewire" and rebuild your kernel.
  I've used both the VIA 6306 and whatever Creative uses on the SB Audigy
(Sony 3022? I forget)...

> Will the fwohci driver provide better perfomance then the USB one?

Right now it certainly does.  I was seeing data-level throughput of ~40 MB/s
or 320 megabits per sec, which is ~80% utilization of the maximum available
throughput of 400 mb/s.  I don't know how much protocol-level overhead is
involved, but there is undoubtedly some so it seems the Firewire driver works
about as efficiently as one might wish.

[ Bravo, Kobayashi-san and Shimokawa-san... ]

--
-Chuck