what raid system should i purchase for freebsd ?

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Tue Mar 2 08:26:41 PST 2004

ei02435 at student.estg.iplei.pt wrote:

>I would like to install freebsd in a machine with a raid system.
>
>So somehone have told me that linux sometimes dos not recognize some raid
>systems ...
>
>can any one tell me what raid system can y purchase to have a garantee that
>freebsd will recognize im ?
>
>i want to use RAID 1 (mirror)  system with 2 hard disks .
>

>Tanks a lot !
>ei02435

Take a look at the hardware compatibility list.
Most well-supported RAID hardware should be
there.

 From www.freebsd.org/releases/ choose the
link for the software release (4.9 or 5.2) you
desire, then your hardware platform (i386/Intel,
Alpha, Sparc, AMD64, etc.)

Another idea would be to view the NOTES
file in the conf subdirectory of the src tree,
which is available for the public via CVSWEB
from the site as well.  On 5.2-RELEASE (my box)
the path is /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/NOTES; this
file contains kernel hints for various devices,
many RAID controllers mentioned there.

Finally, you could consider software RAID
emulation via vinum(8), which is documented
in the FreeBSD handbook and works quite
well for lots of people....

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey