firewall problem??

RYAN vAN GINNEKEN rmvg at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 2 02:03:30 PST 2004

Built a new freebsd 4.9 stable machine got it working ok could send and
recieve packets and the like.  Did a cvsup and make world on it now it
does not seem to be sending or recieveing anything.  Have been playing
around with it now for several weeks off and on.  With a fresh reboot it
does not seem too send or recieve anything

when i try to ping google.ca i get
cannot resolve google.ca  :host name lookup failure

when i ping 192.168.0.202 my gateway i get
ping: send to: permission denied

Seeing these error i think it must be firewalling everything out even me
so I issue the following command.

ipfw add 00100 allow ip from any to any

Great now i can ping google and my own machines also most important i
can login remotely.

ipfw shows this
v23# ipfw show
00100 291 27273 allow ip from any to any
65535  77 11673 deny ip from any to any

contents of /etc/resolv.conf are as follows.
search computerking.ca
nameserver 192.168.0.202
nameserver 24.71.223.144
nameserver 24.71.223.144

Contents of my rc.conf file are included below.  This machine is
eventually going to be a server (sendmail bind apache samba ) for a
differnt network so lots of stuff is commented out. I am new at running
more than on BSD box on the same network and not sure if i need natd or
firewall enabled.

#============================================================================
#/etc/rc.conf     @V23.computerking.ca
#==============================================================================

System
hostname="v23.computerking.ca"
defaultrouter="192.168.0.202"
ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"
ntpdate_enable="YES"
ntpdate_flags="ntp1.cmc.ec.gc.ca"
sshd_enable="YES"
#kern_securelevel_enable="NO"

#Server firewall and natd
#ifconfig_xl0="inet 192.168.0.202  netmask 255.255.255.0"
#gateway_enable="YES"
#firewall_enable="YES"
#firewall_type="OPEN"
#firewall_quiet="NO"