Tar command and OpenOffice 1.1 question

Stephen Liu satimis at icare.com.hk
Mon Mar 1 20:26:07 PST 2004

Hi all folks,

I have following packages download from OpenOffice site to a folder in 'user'
directory;

/home/user/download/
en-ooodict-GB-1.2.tgz
openoffice-1.1.0_1.tbz

1) Can I use following command to extract OOo1.1 tarball to a designated
directory;

# cd /home/user/download/
# tar jxvf openoffice-1.1.0_1.tbz -C /usr/share

2) Is tar command and its tags on FBSD same as Linux

3) Is /usr/ an ideal diretory for OOo1.1 to be extracted to

4) Can I use following command to extract the dictionary tarball

# cd /home/user/download/
# tar zxvf en-ooodict-GB-1.2.tgz -C /usr/share/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/

Remark: 'OpenOffice.org1.1.0' is a new folder generated during extracting OOo
1.1 tarball.

Kindly advise.  TIA

B.R.
Stephen Liu