internal isa pnp modem unrecognized

Ben Williams benw at mailaka.net
Mon Mar 1 17:34:24 PST 2004

I got tired of surfing the web at 28.8 and recently purchased an isa 56k modem
which ended up being a plug-n-pray modem. I know the modem works, but I'm
having trouble getting my fbsd machine which is
  # uname -a
  FreeBSD variable.homeip.net 4.9-STABLE FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE #0: Mon Mar  1 08:00:35 EST 2004     benwilliams at variable.homeip.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/VARIABLE_2004-03-01_01  i386
to see it on boot. In dmesg I get these possibly relevant messages:

  isa0: too many dependant configs (8)
  sio1: configured irq 5 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
  unknown: <PNP0000> can't assign resources
  unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources
  unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources
  unknown: <PNP0401> can't assign resources
  unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources
  unknown: <PNP0c02> can't assign resources

 I think the isa message may be the pointer to the problem but I don't know
what it really means or how to troubleshoot/fix it.

pnpinfo(8) sees the modem (and nothing else).

The modem has been flash upgraded to a ``Zoom/Lucent Internal ISA V.90 modem
model 2919-00-00L'' but does not have jumpers like Zoom's pdf shows.

How can I get my server to see/use this modem? Do I need to install the upnp
port?

TIA,
Ben                          mailto:benw at mailaka.net

PS - Please cc me directly.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0402-5, 02/29/2004
Tested on: 3/1/2004 8:34:35 PM