Questions regarding BIND

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Mon Mar 1 12:07:41 PST 2004

Hello everyone.

I had a couple questions regarding BIND and setting up a BIND server.
I need to quickly setup a BIND server on our company network. The sole
purpose for this is going to be basically used as a caching name server for
all of my clients on the LAN, but I also want to setup a private name
system as well. (Quick note: This will go away eventually, but right now, I
need to get it up, test it, and see how it works.)

I'm using FreeBSD 4.9 and I have cvsup'd the ports and src tree. I made the
world, and now im looking to implement BIND.

The first question is the version to use of BIND. I have heard that BIND9
is much better version to use at this time. The current version of BIND
installed on the system:

liquid# named -v
named 8.3.6-REL Mon Oct 27 14:55:35 GMT 2003
         root at freebsd-stable.sentex.ca:/usr/obj/usr/src/usr.sbin/named

So the first question is, what is the best way to upgrade BIND? Would it be
better to use the ports version, or to grab the source?

Secondly, is regarding my setup. This server will not be setup to be public
accessible. It is for our internal LAN.
With that in mind, are there any How-to's for setting up BIND or getting
started documents?

If anyone has any suggestions, I do appreciate it.

Also, is the book DNS and BIND (the O'Reilly book) pretty good? Worth
buying..i may swing down to my local bookstore and buy it.

I appreciate the help!

Jason