FreeBSD filesystem performance in Enterprise

Derrick Ryalls ryallsd at datasphereweb.com
Mon Mar 1 10:53:43 PST 2004

> Curious how FreeBSD ffs performs in Enterprise-level
> environments (ie:
> email stores that send 100's of thousands of messages per
> day) versus
> other filesystems like XFS (I heard thre's a port going on for
> FreeBSD..?), ReiserFS, et al.   Is there a FAQ that covers
> some of this
> and the various tuning issues one might consider (filesystem and
> kernel).   This applies either disk-alone or across a raid array,
> etc.    I'm interested in hearing others experiences (good and bad).

You are almost starting a holy war  :)

I believe hotmail used to be hosted on FreeBSD until it was bought out by
MS, that should be a decent volume indicator.

I run a very small email list server and it works fine on a p200.  I did see
a noticable jump in speed when I switched the mail service from sendmail to
qmail, so it is also dependant on what you will run.