USB 2.0 harddisk performance

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Mar 1 10:05:49 PST 2004

On Mar 1, 2004, at 11:36 AM, Guy Van Sanden wrote:
> Is firewire fully supported on FreeBSD?

Firewire support has been pretty good, at least for accessing mass
storage devices.  I haven't beaten on IP-over-Firewire or some of the
other capabilities that one might also experiment with....

> The disk does have a firewire link, I can buy an addon card for about
> 30
> €, but I wanna make sure that it will work better.

I was seeing about 35 MB/s read and about 20 MB/s using a Maxtor 5000DN
external drive via Firewire; this drive also supports USB 2, but at the
time I was testing OHCI USB was all that was available to me, not EHCI.

(USB 1 was giving ~1.2 MB/s...)

--
-Chuck