failing to boot from mfsroot.gz

epilogue epilogue at allstream.net
Wed Jun 30 09:24:48 PDT 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:11:07 +0100
"Richard P. Williamson" <richard.williamson at u4eatech.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a 4.8 system that booted from flash using a kernel.gz and
> mfsroot.gz. The ethernet parts were not fully supported by the fxp driver
> in 4.8, so I was testing 4.10 to see if they were with that version of
> the OS.
>
> I've replace the kernel.gz with a 4.10 version, and the mfsroot.gz
> is built using 4.10 objects.  If I try to boot it, this is what I
> get:

> md0: Preloaded mfs_root "/mfsroot> 50331648 bytes at 0xc02b2794
> md1: malloc disk
> sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 in isa0
> sio0: type 16550A, console
> sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
> sio1: type 16550A
> vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3b0-0x3bb iomem 0xb0000-0xb7ffff on
> isa0 ad0: 30MB <SanDisk SDCFB-32> [490/4/32] at ata0-master PI01
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0c
>
> And then nothing.  Nada.  Zip.
>
> No kernel panic message, no prompt, nothing.
>
> Which leaves me in a bit of a pickle as to what to try.
>
> If I use a 4.10 kernel with a 4.8 mfsroot.gz, it boots,
> but tells me that proc is out of sync with the kernel.

If i get you correctly, you're trying to run a 4.10 kernel on a 4.8
system.  (?)  if so, you're really on your own here and destined to bang
your head against the wall trying to get this to work.  rather unlike
linux, the FBSD system is an integrated whole, not mix and match.

if you want to take advantage of features available under 4.10, you will
need to upgrade your system.  the process is rather straightforward and
there is significant documentation covering the necessary steps (handbook
and google are good sources here -- though do _avoid_ the advice given at
bsdnews.org)

if i've misunderstand your intention, apologies.

cheers,
epi