setting xterm font from the command line

Michael A. Smith msmith at code-fu.com
Fri Jun 25 04:23:44 PDT 2004

Parv wrote:
>> It works for me now, too. When I was testing every (sic)
>> combination last night, I wasn't always using xterm. Sometimes I
>> used xfterm4 (the XFCE wrapper for xterm) and it DOES barf whether
>> I escape, quote or whatever.
>
> If you don't mind ...  Does the xterm start w/ the given font string?
> Which type of font syntax -- string enclosed in single quotes or only
> the quotation of white space -- worked?

I did not use single quotes and I backslashed the spaces:

xterm -sl 3000 -fs 8 \
  -fa -bitstream-bitstream\ vera\ sans\ mono-medium-r-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

I wasn't able to properly set the font size (using -fs 8) with the -fn
option. I switched to -fa (and -fb) and it works like a charm.

Thanks for all your help!

--
Michael A. Smith <msmith at code-fu.com>
($do || !$do) && undef($try); # Master of Perl, Yoda is. Hmmmm?